Author: Red Emperor CBD
From the beginning, the year 2020 has witnessed some of the most unexpected events of the century. Now, the talk of the town has abruptly changed from Climate change, Olympics and Elections. Instead, the terms that are creating a buzz all around the world suddenly are CBD, Corona virus and Strong Immunity.
The pandemic that has spiked the sale of CBD, coronavirus has brought the world to a standstill. Its ability to spread quickly and the absence of specific medication has worsened the situation. In such a scenario, the phrase “prevention is better than cure” can be rightly put to use. A healthy immune system is essential to stay away from viruses and prevent infections.
Amidst the coronavirus crisis, demand for CBD has spiked due to its ability to boost the immune system. A while ago marketplace thronged with tempting choices like CBD infused lattes and CBD brownies. Moreover, reports the Ecommerce sales surging has left many wondering if it is legal and worth a try. Well, you are safe until there is no added THC in the product you are planning to use.
Let’s understand the relation between CBD, Corona Virus and its effect on immunity
What is CBD?
CBD or cannabidiol is one of the chemical compounds found in the Cannabis sativa plant, popularly known as Marijuana. Although the name itself is baffling, it can be considered as an exceptional wellness product. CBD is non-psychoactive unlike other compounds of cannabis like Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and it doesn’t lead to euphoric effects. From edibles, oils, topicals to beverages, there are numerous CBD products that one can choose from.
Here are the Properties of CBD that helps in the body’s fight against foreign invaders like viruses
- Anti- Inflammatory Properties. The strongest attribute of CBD that helps in keeping the immune system strong is its anti-inflammatory properties. Inflammation is an integral part of the immune system’s response to infection and injury. It is good in moderation as its signals direct immune cells to heal an infection or repair damaged tissue. However, an exaggerated inflammatory response can do more damage than good. It can lead to challenging situations like chronic inflammation resulting in serious illness and excessive pain. Persistent inflammation is also identified as the common link behind many diseases like asthma, tuberculosis and even some form of cancer.CBD is effective in reducing the inflammatory response, thus allowing the immune system to function better. In the present scenario, when coronavirus is spreading rapidly, it is important to have a robust immune system. It is ideal to make CBD a part of the anti-inflammatory diet in your fight against viruses.
Here how CBD can modulate the inflammatory response:
- Generate regulatory T cells (Tregs)
Regulatory T cells play an important role in Regulatory T cells (Tregs) suppress the immune response. They play a key role in preventing autoimmune diseases and maintain tolerance to self-antigens. CBD generates regulatory T Cells and prevents immune cells from incorrectly mounting a response against healthy cells. It can suppress general inflammation and thus is an ideal choice for an individual with a weak immune system.
- Disrupt the release of Cytokines.Cytokines are signaling proteins released by immune cells and plays a vital role in the immune response regulation. Excessive release of pro-inflammatory cytokine is found to be common among individuals with severe COVID-19. It is termed as an inflammatory cytokine storm and can lead to complications and organ failure. The suppression of cytokine and chemokine production is one of the exemplary features of Corona virus can lead to respiratory distress which again is a result of a cytokine storm. Cannabinoids prevent inflammation before it occurs, thus making the immune system function well.
- Anti-Oxidant Properties
Antioxidants are known to fights free radicals in the body and protect cells by inhibiting oxidation. Free radicals are unstable molecules that occur due to the metabolic process or exposure to radiation, pesticides, and pollutants. It damages cells and is associated with numerous ailments like heart disease, diabetes, etc. Boosting up the antioxidant defense mechanism is essential to keep the free radicals in check. It can also reduce the overabundance of inflammation leading to a finer immune system.Sources of Vitamin C and E have been considered to be Anti-oxidant rich foods for the longest time. The latest popular addition to this list of antioxidants is CBD. Corona virus has made us reconsider our food choices and including antioxidants is tremendously beneficial.
The free oxygen atom in CBD helps in mitigating oxidative stress by keeping free radicals at bay. Thus, CBD is an excellent choice to strengthen the immune system
- Neuro-protectant Properties Another fascinating way in which CBD strengthens the immune system is through its neuroprotectant properties. It helps to protect the nervous system and also aids in the development of new neurons. Besides being therapeutic for neurodegenerative diseases, stroke, brain, and spinal injury, it also prevents disease progression. By halting the loss of neurons, it speeds up recovery and also helps in preventing damage. The Neuro-protect properties of CBD make it excellent for healing and strengthening the immune system.
- Anxiolytic Properties In uncertain times like these when a virus has brought the world to a pause, anxiety is bound to occur. For people with anxiety disorders, this time can be extremely challenging. Besides leading to pounding heart and racing thoughts, anxiety also takes a toll on the body’s immune system. Anxiety releases the stress hormone cortisol, which makes it difficult for the immune system to fight germs and viruses. However, the good news is that CBD has got a therapeutic potential to reduce anxiety. Since CBD is often touted for being Non-Euphoric, its a safe way to reduce anxiety and improve the immune system. A cautious approach to CBD dosing by consulting an expert can work like magic to fight anxiety.ConclusionThe benefits of CBD can be enticing; however, it is always advisable to take it under expert supervision. Further, for increased safety, ensure to use only third-party tested Coronavirus can severely increase complications in people with pre-existing illnesses, hence one needs to be careful with CBD dosage. Besides, a healthy lifestyle, regular exercise, and nutritious food is also essential to boost the immune system.